River Experiment Center
The River Experiment Center (REC) of the Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology was established In Nov. 2009 to conduct various experiments concerning flow characteristics, river morphology and ecosystem under close-to-prototype experiment conditions. The center, located in Andong city which is southeastern part of the Korean Peninsula has three-types experiment streams, 11 meter wide and 600 meter long and experiment ponds in site area of 193,051 m2. The REC has the capacity to reproduce artificial flood of 10.0㎥/s at maximum using a large pumping facilities, and the Center enables various river experiments almost free from scale effects.
Development and dissemination of river management technology to ensure coexistence of human beings and the nature while harmonizing water utilization, flood control and river environment
- Verification and authentication of new technology and materials
- Development of river design criteria for coexistence of human beings and the nature
- Hydraulic experiments related to restoration of rivers
- Limnological experiments to ensure coexistence of human beings and the nature
Vision & Mission
Creation of healthy and safe river environment
- Advancement of the river design methodology that ensures sound environmental functions of rivers and prepares against abnormal flood
- Offering of the Korean typical river model that guarantees water resources securement, flood control, water quality, and ecosystem
- Enhancement of the public perception toward river management
Basic research area
- Accumulation of practical/evidential documents related to natural rivers and regulated rivers
- River morphology factoring into river’s self-initiated flood control
- Adaptive management for vegetation
- Habitate designing that reflects discharge and water surface elevation
- Research that compares water quality by river type
- Reduction of sediment contamination
- Ecosystem restoration technology using dike, wetland, etc.
- Fish way-related researches
- River channel design to ensure river restoration
- Development and verification of new materials and new technology related to bank protection
Water level and velocity measuring devices
- Setup of the real-time water level measuring system for intakes, inflow tank, outflow pond, etc.
- Establishment of water level measuring devices in various forms (pressure-type, radar, ultra-sonic, etc.) and velocimeters (3D ADV, price type, propeller type, etc.)
Force measuring devices
- Load cell (1 & 6 components) designed to measure drag and lift forces of hydraulic structures and vegetation
Revier bed change measuring devices
- Close measurement of bed elevation using 3D scanner (Lidar type)
Water quality measuring devices
- Devices to measure DO, DOC, OM, Chl-a, nutrient, pH, etc.